Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Remote Support for Windows

I came across a neat little application that's free for basic remote desktop support from one Windows computer to another called CrossLoop. While I've read that your mileage may vary, particularly with Vista, it's still a pretty slick little application. I've tried the native Remote Assistance built into Windows and it's a bit cumbersome and the performance varies wildly.

For my consulting I have an account with GoToAssist (now a Citrix company) and it's more polished and has more tools for assisting users but it's not cheap. If you're doing this as a business, I prefer GoToAssist but if you're the resident computer guy in the family and you have to help out the father/brother/mother/etc, CrossLoop is probably a good solution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks from all of us at CrossLoop for the recommendation, Aron!
We are focused on simplicity and on the recently announced Computer Help Marketplace
Let me know if you have any questions.

Anonymous said...

I used crossloop myself (www.crossloop.com/cats-llc), and it works very well for remoting into clients computers and servers. The nice feature is the client has to give you an access code to be able to remote into their systems. Another product I found for remote assistance (If you have SLA's like me) is to use LOGMEIN. They have a free version, buts limited because you cant copy files, but you can access the PC/server at anytime without the user being there.