Friday, November 13, 2009

AT&T Fires Back at Verizon

Verizon has become increasingly bold in their attacks on AT&T. The most recent commercial depicts an iPhone as a recent newcomer to the Island of Misfit Toys because of the alleged thin coverage provided via AT&T's 3G network.

While I find the commercial really amusing, I have to tell you that in my own experience with Verizon wireless data, I have been extremely disappointed.

I do a lot of camping in Northern California and up until the end of this month, will have carried two different wireless cellular modems with me. Only about half the time do I get coverage at the state parks with either Verizon or AT&T. In all but one experience, I had no coverage from Verizon but did with AT&T.

I'm not an AT&T fan, however, but they have better coverage in the places where I'm more dependent on cellular data. I'm still baffled at how they can have such predictable black holes of coverage in the middle of S.F. or on Highway 37 between Novato and Sear's Point.

I can also add that 3G is definitely not created equally. This summer we drove from northern CA to southwestern MT via Utah, Nevada, and Idaho. I did many impromptu tests of wireless data along the way and the coverage by AT&T was equal to or better than Verizon the entire route. And when both had good signal, there was no appreciable difference in speed, even though AT&T's was listed as being on their older and slower 'Edge' network while Verizon was on their '3G.'

My other issue with Verizon is their failure to adopt global standards in mobile technology--specifically, to use SIM cards or GSM with their mobile devices. How long has Europe been using SIM cards now? 10 or 15 years? T-mobile and AT&T are the only national carriers in the US who get this....

Anyhow, AT&T fired back today with a press release stating their position with regard to Verizon's attacks. Good reading, enjoy!

No comments: