Tuesday, October 9, 2012

An Ode to the Honda VFR800

I've had my 1998 VFR800 for about 7 years now.  It's the first year of the 5th generation VFRs.  I purchased this motorcycle to replace my 1999 Honda CBR1100XX 'Super Blackbird.'  The XX was a great bike but I never really felt comfortable with it, even after amassing over 25k miles on it.  It as a little too wide, long, and periodically intimidating.  It was supremely fast (not quite Hayabusa fast, but close enough) and I never really warmed to it they way I did my old 1994 CBR1000 that preceded it.  While the VFR wasn't as powerful, it suited me better with the power, styling, comfort, and character.

In 1998 the 5th generation model added some pretty sizable stuff--
  • increased displacement (to 781 cc)
  • fuel injection
  • last generation of the gear-driven camshaft engines (which produce a distinctive and intoxicating whine)
  • new body styling (I never liked the 4th generation very well)
I had a 1991 VFR750 (red with white wheels) for several years that I purchased from the original owner who had added an Ohlins shock, reworked fork, stage 3 jet kit, Two Brothers left side exhaust (so the entire right wheel was open), and lots of other very tasteful additions.  That was a great bike and always got lots of looks and compliments.

1991 Honda VFR750F  5







Electrical Issues
Upon first getting the VFR800, I immediately had some of the well-documented gremlins in the electrical system.  I should have checked the output voltage when I bought the bike because the previous owner sold it to me with a defective regulator/rectifier (R/R or RR).  I ordered up a new one and put that on and things were okay.  I also added a fairing mounted voltmeter to keep an eye on things and while the RR kept charging between 12.6 (not *really* charging, just maintaining) up to about 13.2 volts, I was always a little wary.  After a couple of years I replaced the original stator with a new factory one and for a while I saw 13.4 volts.  Then after one cold ride where I used the heated grips plus the heated vest for about 20 minutes I lost voltage at all RPMs to about 12.4 and I had melted the connector between the RR and the stator and burned up the RR, time for another.  This time I followed a forum's advice and soldered the connections seeing as how lots of people reported melted connections.  I replaced the factory ground with a high quality 8 gauge cable and soldered and pressed terminals.  For a while I would see as high as 13.6 volts but a far cry from what I would consider optimal.  I think I replaced the RR one or two more times after that and this spring I added a VFRness harness, a new factory stator, and most importantly, I deviated from replacing the RR with one I got from wiremybike.com.

With the VFRness, fresh stator, and re-tightened ground and such, I was getting 13.6 volts again.  Replacing the R/R brought me to 14.7!  Now, Fall of 2012 and about 5 months later I'm still seeing the same outstanding voltage.  I wouldn't want to go much higher as I usually consider 14.4 volts at 5,000 RPM optimal, but I don't think a couple or three tenths is going to overwhelm things.  I tried running the heated jacket and the heated grips on high at the same time and the bike was still running 14.4 volts at 5,000 RPM so it appears that this R/R is able to keep up with the load.  It looks like I'll finally be able to truly use my VFR in the cooler weather this year without fearing electrical maladies.  BTW, the manufacturer of the RR is Rick's Motorsport Electrics.  I think one of the biggest contributing factors is that the stock RR is rated for 35 amps whereas Rick's is rated for 50 amps.  That provides considerably more headroom for accessories and even the stock current requirements.  I'll still keep an eye on electrical connections and voltage state, but I feel a whole lot better about it already.
Aron s 1998 Honda VFR800

Electrical issues aside, my other modifications to the VFR include:
  • Givi top rack (and I am presently using my Multistrada's top case with it)
  • Staintune high-mount slip-on (sounds amazing, with or without the dB restrictor)
  • Ohlins rear shock
  • Y2K mirrors (the original 'condom' mirrors are ghastly)
  • Throttlemeister mechanical cruise control which I've probably only used twice in the years but it looks so much better than black bar ends.
  • Givi touring windscreen--not as attractive as stock but *I think* deflects more wind
  • Datatel voltmeter
  • two 12 volt charging outlets
  • a high-current USB outlet (can charge an iPad quickly)
  • RAM mount X-grip for my phone attached to the front gas tank mount
  • not motorcycle specific but I added a Sena bluetooth headset unit to my helmet, I can now listen to my music and podcasts wirelessly and take calls if need be
Maintenance Items
Now in the past couple of years I've also had to replace a couple of factory bits, including the speedometer sensor, the clutch sensor switch, the neutral switch, and the kickstand switch.  All are subject to a lot of wear and at 30k + miles I suppose it's not terribly unusual.  Regular maintenance items typically include a new chain and sprocket between 14 and 17k miles (I think I've put on the 2nd one now making it the 3rd total chain).  Tires for the last couple of rounds have been Pirelli Strada but I just got the new Michelin Pilot Road 3s for the Multistrada (another sport touring tire) that will be going on at the next service in a few hundred miles so we'll see how those pan out, initial reviews from others are great.
Future Upgrades
Seeing as how I'm probably not replacing the VFR in the near future (though there's a Ducati Multistrada 1200 ABS living next stall over), I've recently ordered up a SW-Motech/Bags-Connection 'Engage' tank bag and electrical kit from twistedthrottle.com to replace my well-worn Cortech tank bag with the broken zippers and sagging liner.  It's been on a few bikes and has served its duty.  I put a different SW-Motech bag on my Ducati and the fit and finish are outstanding, the best I've ever seen on motorcycle luggage but it is after all, a German company.  I also ordered up a high-beam modulator, just to demonstrate that I'm becoming an older, cautious rider who wants to be seen while commuting.  I'm actually pretty excited to see how much more visible I become with this.
What's left?  Well, I always fantasize about an RC51 front-end on the bike but that's more complicated and expensive than I probably need for a bike that I use to commute with 90% of the time.  I would like to improve the front end for better feel so I'm leaning toward the Traxion cartridge overhaul.  I need to get a price on that and maybe that will be a winter project for me...

General Ownership Experience
The electrical stuff has left me wary for a long time with my VFR, even though I've never toured on it, I still don't want to be stranded on a back road or on a busy highway going to work or San Francisco.  Now with a few really solid months of good electrical, I'm feeling a renewed enthusiasm for my VFR.  I checked out some ads for the 6th Generation VFR800 but the VTEC engine and funky front end leave me cold.  Then when the VFR1200 came out I was so horribly disappointed.  The RC30/45 pedigreed 'Interceptor' is now a giant 1200cc shaftie with an optional automatic transmission?!?  Tragic, absolutely tragic.  As Mary Shelley would have said, 'an abomination in the eyes of God.'

My particular VFR800 returns almost entirely consistent 38 mpg (US) on my mixed motoring commute with freeway travel in the morning with ~15 miles of 75-85 mph riding and then 5 miles of lane-sharing at 30-40 mph.  About half the time my return commute is backroads with speeds varying from 25 mph to 65 mph and very little steady state cruising.  On the track I usually see 25-30 mpg.  I always run 91 octane fuel and oil changes are 3-5000 miles with Mobil One and the stock Honda oil filters.

So, with my renewed enthusiasm, I'm enjoying my VFR more and more of late, looking at it more in the garage (still wishing for another 30 or 40 HP).  It's a glorious sounding, still attractively styled, reasonably quick, nice handling, extremely comfortable, and classic sporty sport touring bike.  As others have said, it's kind of the James Bond of motorcycles.  It's not really a master of any one aspect of motorcycling but it does a lot of things really really well.  Mine is approaching 37k miles on the clock, about 30k of those mine.  I got a fair deal on it and it really hasn't depreciated much since I bought it though it's dramatically improved in many regards.  If I could, I'd buy two or three more clean 5th generation bikes and store them as replacements because I think it will be a while before I find something that truly replaces the VFR of the 5th Generation in my heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just re-read this post and it makes me reminisce... April of 2015 was the end of my VFR800. I'd had the bike for about 10 years, did almost all my commuting on it but I had the bug for something fresh. I finally decided on a new old stock 2014 Triumph Street Triple R with ABS. I immediately got the Quickshifter and it was part of a promotion that included the fly screen, belly fairing, and rear seat cowl. I also added another SW Motech tank bag (non-electrified), heated grips (Triumph OE), Triumph side protectors, billet oil and gearshift farkles, front spindle protectors, and rear lift spindles. It's a very different bike in character (much higher strung) but very similar seating position. Admittedly, there's a lot less wind protection but it's so much more fun at track days and back roads. Fuel mileage is similar, though I have seen as high as 45 mpg but more regularly see 38 - 40 mpg and considering the smaller tank, I fuel up around 130 miles or slightly less. I did stretch things to 165 miles one time but ended up stranded about 3 miles from home.

I've also added an LED taillight with flashing brake light, the oh so sweet front turn signals from WatsenDesign, a SW-Motech aluminum rear rack that holds a light Givi hard case, SW-Motech Cordura saddle bags, a high-current USB charger, and an Arrow slip-on exhaust.

Clearly I need to do a write-up on this bike as well as it's become my new love.