Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Windows 10 Forced Upgrade

I’m starting to hear about more and more people getting caught in the Windows 10 forced upgrade.  Microsoft does provide a group policy object to allow you to not upgrade to Windows 10 on domain-member computers (though it still has the annoying little icon in the system tray saying the administrator has blocked it).
 
Personal computers that aren’t joined to a Windows domain may be getting the virtually forced upgrade.  So far, this seems to be the best tool from an extremely credible individual for blocking it.  https://www.grc.com/never10.htm  Steve Gibson is highly respected in the technology community and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it, in fact I will be trying it in a couple of hours on a friend’s personal Windows 7 computer that started going down that path.  I’ll do it on my personal Windows 7 computer at home too.  So far I’ve just been able to hit the x in the upper corner each time I used it (not often, admittedly).

No comments: