Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hyper-V

This isn't really a traditional post as much as it is a compilation of useful resources on setting up Microsoft's new virtualization. I'm just getting ready to deploy it myself.

Installing Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 Server Core
http://www.petri.co.il/installing-hyper-v-on-windows-server-2008-server-core.htm

Configuring the BIOS Processor and Memory Options on an HP Proliant Server
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01516156/c01516156.pdf

Hyper-V Quirks That Take Some Getting Used To

I'm not too far into it yet but I have to say, I'm really digging Microsoft's Hyper-V so far. I ended up reinstalling the core OS because it was acting kind of funny with configuring the virtual host's network adapter. I probably should have started with HP's guidelines to start with but do first, read later ;-). Anyhow, it's rolling now and I'm updating my base machine, a Server 2003R2 32 bit VM. This is what's required by ADP for their payroll software. Turns out they're pretty cautious about certifying new OS's and as a result, they don't expect to support Server 2008 until some time mid 2009 and our deployment is approaching 5 years of age. With that, they don't 'officially' support virtualization but since it's pretty hard to find brand-name, business-class servers that aren't 64 bit, this seemed like the best route.

No comments: