Monday, January 14, 2008

Go Fish


Why does my profile show me wearing a tie and holding a fish?

The photo was taken around 1995 when I worked for Soundstream Technologies. We had a marketing manager, Mark Spinella, who had a very creative and often unorthodox style for marketing. If memory serves, we used that photo for a newsletter picture for an article I had written.

I've kept the photo around for more than a decade now because it's an excellent reminder to never take myself too seriously. Regardless of your role, it does wonders to sometimes take a step back and laugh at yourself. If you have a function that is often stressful it's even more important. Besides that, if you can't laugh at yourself, I believe you have a tendency to take other people's criticism to heart and it disturbs the creative flow.

If nothing else, it makes for a great icebreaker when you meet a business partner or potential employer who has done a simple Google search on your name...

No comments: