Wednesday, August 6, 2008

iPhone Pwange'd to 2.0 and how I got past the 1600/1601 errors

I've tried to hack and unlock my iPhone a couple of times now but it finally worked with lots of Googling around.

There are plenty of instructions out there, including Bwana's excellent YouTube video instructions and iClarified's tutorial and I was good up until the final part of restoring the iPhone and I'd keep getting error 1600 or 1601. 1600 would happen if the ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support/x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw file wasn't in place. 1601 would happen when it was. What both error messages had in common were that the iPhone was in the infamous DFU mode.

What finally worked for me after getting the 1601 error was to unplug the phone, hold down power and home until it came back to life (at which point it returned to its previous unlocked/jailbroken ZiPhone 1.1.4 state). Then I held down the home button and plugged it into my Mac at home and did the standard recovery mode when iTunes gave me the option to restore. I held the alt/option key and manually selected the custom firmware (v. 2.0).

Leave it plugged in after it finally finishes and everything else comes up, which could take 5 minutes.

I'm up and running with v. 2.0 and my T-mobile voice/data plan!

No comments: