Saturday, August 30, 2008

Upgrading Legacy Exchange to 2007

I'm working on upgrading a client's environment from an original install of Exchange 2003 that apparently included a second server which was originally Exchange 5.5 and was upgraded to Exchange 2003. In trying to install Exchange 2007 I got some messages in the setup that mentioned that Exchange was not in Native Mode and that I needed to change that. When I selected the Properties the option was grayed out. Turns out you can resolve that by removing the 'Site Replication Service' under Tools in the Exchange 2003 System Manager.

I also had to remove the Active Directory Connectors by running the Exchange 2003 setup in ADC\I386\Setup.exe.

Turns out I had to edit out several of the lines of legacy information using a tool that was new to me, ldp.exe (an LDAP editor, I presume ;-)).

Of course the AD schema gets upgraded with the installation, which used to sound daunting but I've done it enough now that it's not really a big deal to me.

So now the installation is running and let's see how it goes!

No comments: