Friday, December 28, 2007

iPod Touch Hacked


I'm far from bleeding edge in hacking my iPod Touch because there was a part of me that was concerned about breaking it (though the likelihood is really quite low) and much of it was trying to find a single good source for instructions, and there was a small part of me wishfully thinking Apple might officially release applications. After perusing enough sites and blogs I broke down and did it last night. I'll try to do another post with the final kit of instructions that I used a little later.

In sum, I had to revert to previous firmware 1.1.1, break it with the TIF exploit, do the proper prep for jailbreaking, and then did the 1.1.2 update through iTunes. After that, I installed apps, found the iPhone's applications and Frameworks (for Weather, Mail, Stocks, and Maps) and several cool apps from the jailbreak site. After this was done I was able to remotely SSH to the iPod and use all the apps.

Let me say now, I was crazy to have waited. The iPod Touch goes from being a cool UI iPod to being an awesome rockin' handheld PDA/music player/browser. The Apple iPhone apps are killer--Mail (I configured mine with my Gmail account via IMAP, not the default built-in configuration), Google Maps, and Weather are elegant and highly functional. The solitaire and blackjack games are fun, and there are several others I have yet to try. While it's still not a laptop, it is highly functional now.

I wouldn't recommend this for everyone by any means but if you have some patience and inclination, it's well worth it.

No comments: