Thursday, July 10, 2008

Viewing RSS

As you may already know, I'm a big fan of RSS for many purposes but most particularly, for getting updates on articles I'm interested in. It's a powerful tool and is pretty elegant. I've been using the native RSS reader in my web browser for the last few years but it's become kind of buggy lately and the discussion boards have various theories and quasi-solutions for fixing it. The issue is that the browser feeds seem to quit auto-refereshing after I've been logged in for a while or they'll show that there's a new article and there isn't. I've also found my bookmark list to be getting overly complicated. So I'm delving back into using a dedicated news reader. I'm trying out NetNewsWire, which is now free. It's a little easier to organize my bookmarks but the killer feature with it is that it uses the NewsGator service (which is free) to synchronize your RSS feed lists. It also has a web interface and a mobile web interface designed specifically for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm only into it a day but so far so good.

No comments: