Friday, July 10, 2009

Gever Tulley on 5 dangerous things for kids

My wife sent me this link earlier today and I can't begin to tell you how much I recalled from my childhood.

I hate to give too much away but I remember getting my first pocket knife and how empowering it felt. I carry a knife with me and use it at least a half dozen times. I break them somewhat regularly because they get so much use.

The other one that really hit home was taking an old appliance apart. I think I first started disassembling things at home when I was about three. I discovered my dad's tools, namely a Philip's screwdriver and promptly disassembled the neat little school desk I had. I didn't quite get the idea of putting things back together at that point but I did soon enough. My 2 year old daughter, if you ask her what I do, she knows that I 'fix stuff.'

There are lots of other good bits in the video and TED is a really neat and inspiring organization so that's worth a look too.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: