Thursday, October 9, 2008

Run Mac desktops virtually on PC servers

Run Mac desktops virtually on PC servers: "I'm the administrator for a group of creative artists and have a number of Macs (of most all flavors) running on our network. While I love OS X Server, it remains (for me) too hard and complex to do what I need. I want an easy path to manage all my Mac users on a central server farm (preferably HP servers, since that is what our IT department has in our data center). I've heard about Mac OS X server running virtually, but only on Xserve.

My quest for running OS X virtually only led to more frustration:

  1. I don't really want to virtualize OS X Server.
  2. I don't need or want to manage two licenses (one on the server and one on the client).
  3. We don't have Xserves and probably never will.
Then Bingo! I found DiscCloud -- and it works perfectly, with the help of this hint, of course! Here are some tips to help get it running:
  • The first mistake I made was downloading the wrong version of VMware Server. You...

    Add to digg
    Add to Reddit
    Add to Slashdot
    Email this Article
    Add to StumbleUpon


    "



    (Via Clippings.)

No comments: