Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mac Apache 403 Forbidden Issue

I was trying to test some web pages I was building on my desktop Mac the other day continued to get a 403 Forbidden error; "You don't have permission to access /~username on this server". Not sure exactly why this happened but I did identify a solution, though I'm sure there's a more elegant way to resolve it but here's what I found and did....

From the terminal (and if you don't know what this is, you might want to stop now ;-)), I cd'd to /private/etc/apache2/users. I noticed there were a few files named username.conf in there but not one for my username. I copied one of the working username conf files to my username.conf and then edited it to reflect my home directory inside.

After that, I restarted apache (apachectl restart) and it resolved the issue.

No comments: