Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cover Letter

Here's a letter of interest for a position that I really am enthusiastic about. I received a positive response this morning already.

###

I wanted to take a moment to discuss with you my interest in the Chief Information Officer position. I have already submitted my application and documents to the search committee but I also wanted to touch base with you. I know you're extremely busy #your position# so I will be succinct.

I've reviewed and researched much about the #organization Y# and #Organization X# and explored #the strategic plan# and I am very excited about the opportunity to interview for the position.

I come from a background of private and public sector experience, including four years with the University of Nevada, Reno where I held the position of Director, Information Technology, Campus Computing & Security. I very much enjoy the academic environment and feel that I have a keen sensitivity to needs of faculty, staff, and students as I have worked on several collaborative projects with all three groups. I particularly enjoy working with new and innovative technologies to provide improved technology performance and offerings to serve the campus community. My experience at UNR includes having worked with the Nevada State Higher Education (NSHE) group (comprised of all of the public Nevada higher education institutions) likely parallels the #organization Y#.

#Name#, I enjoy technology and especially the practical but innovative application of it to improve efficiency, stimulate creativity, and to bridge gaps. While social networking applications have been around for a few years now, much of it is still in its infancy and using it to improve teaching and collaboration is an area in which I have particular interest and excitement. I also have extensive experience in implementing centralized hosted applications and services. At UNR my team and I used the 'carrot' approach to reduce bring nearly all of the campus onto a single mail and calendaring service (coming from more than 15 disparate services). We also implemented centralized file services, secure remote access, and a higher degree of service through a project designed to simplify the computing environment while still providing the necessary liberties to ensure our faculty being able to do everything they needed. The net result was less down-time of computing services, greater performance, software licensing compliance, and a strategic and sustainable environment.

From what I've read of the CIO position, the direction with new leadership, and the community, the position seems an excellent fit. I believe my experience, enthusiasm, vision for future technologies as well as ability to implement centralized services (where applicable), leadership, and creativity will complement the strategic planning for #organization x#.

#name#, thank you for your time to read my note. I am at your service should you have any questions for me. I look forward to discuss the position further with you and the search committee.

No comments: