Thursday, October 18, 2007

More Cover Letter - Qualifications Stuff


So I just applied for a position that has a lot of promise--it's near one of the few areas of southern California that I really like and the town itself is in the top 10 of best places to live according to Money Magazine. Of everything that I've come across so far this is one of the more tantalizing opportunities, it really seems like a good fit based on the description and I think it would be an excellent opportunity to use my background and provide services for the organization. It looks like a neat area and has a sense of community to it.

So anyway, here's what I wrote for the meat of the cover (there's more behind and in front but it's a pretty honest sentiment of what I think I'm about)...

I offer you over 12 years of progressive technology management and hands-on technical experience with private and public sector organizations, including a public university where I oversaw support, training, security, communications, custom applications, classroom support, and project management and implementation. I have managed diverse groups and actively managed and participated in collaborative interdisciplinary teams and committees with disparate groups with students, faculty and staff, and research areas. I have a high degree of sensitivity to academic needs balanced with fiscal responsibility. I am an ardent supporter of higher education and practical application of technology. I also believe in the use of technology to improve processes, facilitate learning, and expand communication. Even though I consider myself a technology evangelist, I also am aware that technology can be used inappropriately and often for the sake of itself. My 6 years with a consumer electronics manufacturer traveling to several continents to deliver training gave me a unique sensitivity to how different people learn and embrace concepts; these skills have helped me in every venture subsequent, and particularly in my service to higher education. Technology is my passion, as is enlightening others as to the use of it in new and creative ways, and few arenas are as exciting or receptive as higher education. I believe I am a strong coach, mentor, manager, and collaborator and am eager to put my experience to use to improve the organization. I am an advocate of social networking and Web 2.0 applications.

No comments: