Friday, October 19, 2007

My 'Stream


I thought this would be as good as any place to describe my own Airstream and what I've done to it so far.

First, it's a 1972 Airstream Trade Wind (not Tradewind). The options on it include:
dual front Vista View windows
double step entry (aluminum)
Dual full-sized front and middle gauchos

What I've added or upgraded:
New Suburban NT-30 furnace
New Dometic Single Door fridge
New front Fantastic Fan with thermostat
New Suburban 22" range/oven
New Shur-Flow Whisper Quiet water pump
New catalytic heater
New 6 gallon propane and electric water heater
New porcelain bowl toilet
Added 19" widecreen HD television
Added AppleTV with 160 GB hard drive
Added Sony car stereo with iPod and auxiliary inputs
New tires
New break-away safety switch
New Optima battery
Added low profile A/C with heat strip
Added new vent/range hood with light and fan
Replaced and added several area lights
Replaced original mattresses with memory foam mattresses
Replaced original Univolt with Inteli-Power 65 amp charger/converter
New OPD 7 gallon propane tanks
New LPG regulator and hoses
New Ultrafab 3500 lb jack with extension

I still have to install the new 'Bat Wing' antenna and I'd like to replace the flooring with a laminate, also need to replace the weatherstripping

I also fantasize about adding a gray tank and polishing the trailer, as well as adding an awning, but the reality is that I will probably replace the trailer with my dream 25' Safari SE FB instead of doing that work. In the mean time we have a bunch of fun with the trailer as it is. I find it absolutely amazing the cult following Airstream trailers have. There's a vintage Airstream podcast ('The VAP') that broadcasts every couple of weeks, DIY Network has produced a series on it, and the on-line resources are HUGE. It's a fun brotherhood to belong to.

No comments: