Thursday, October 25, 2007

Leopard on the way

Wow, I am just floored at how much press the new Apple operating system has garnered. Even though most reviews have said it's evolutionary and not revolutionary, the volume of coverage is HUGE. Yes, I test drove a couple versions of the beta and yes, I have a copy being delivered as well. I'm going to swap out hard drives on my MacBook so I can keep my 10.4 (Tiger) version intact but in an external bootable enclosure. Besides that, I wanted to step up to the new 7200 RPM SATA 200 GB laptop drive anyhow.

I guess I was pretty excited with Vista too, I think I test drove no fewer than 3 versions of the betas and was one of the first in my organization to install it on a production machine. While it was a much larger departure from XP than Tiger and Leopard are, I still muddled my way through it and enjoyed the new tricks and eye candy.

No matter what press or what religion of operating system you subscribe, the new generations are fun, exciting, and many of us are salivating to get it running on our own gear. I'm sure it will be an improvement in most regards, and not quite as good in others.

Back to my first sentence though--I know Apple has gained in market share dramatically in the last few years but it still holds such a small percentage of the overall business yet has a hugely disproportionate amount of press. Having been a user of Apple products at home and work for the past 4 years (not exclusively, but it's joined my cadre), it is becoming a little less cultish or special as more people are discovering it. It has been kind of fun sitting back and taking the ribbing from some of the dyed-in-the-wool MS fan-boys and in the last couple of years they start asking more questions than making wise-cracks. With this popularity, I feel like I might need to run out and find something else now....

No comments: