Thursday, October 4, 2007

Job Search Ideas

So I'm trying out some of the new sites that might, in theory, help me identify and/or be identified for finding a good match for a new position.

Over the past year or so a few of my friends, former work-mates, and fellow MBA cohort friends have asked me to be a part of their LinkedIn networks.  I always accepted but now in surfing around on LinkedIn it could have more potential than I might originally have thought.  I have now updated my LinkedIn profile, added a button on this blog to it (see the right-hand column).

Another job identifying site that looks interesting is JobFox.  It's a little different than the more traditional HotJobs/Monster/CareerBuilder sites in that it creates a map of your skills based upon a series of questions.  It allows some personalization and is a welcome change from the usual sites.  There's a link to my JobFox profile at the bottom of this page.

Most of my technology friends won't be surprised by this but I'm using RSS feeds whenever possible to get updates to new positions.  Craigslist doesn't appear to support Boolean searches so I have several RSS feeds per locale but it does all aggregate nicely into a single button in my browser.  It's a fairly elegant way to get frequent updates.  Unfortunately not all sites support RSS yet so I still depend also on the e-mail notifications and periodic web site visits.  I still have to get my HotJobs & Monster searches dialed in since they seem to return a lot of unrelated results.

I wouldn't say that I have a distinct favorite job search site but so far RSS is the leader for finding jobs, IMHO.

No comments: