Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Gmail Gets IMAP Capability!




In this morning's daily morning news and blog readings, I found a couple of sites that said some people's Gmail accounts now have IMAP functionality. I quickly logged into mine and lo and behold, there it is! I enabled it on mine (settings/IMAP/POP) and configured my mail client to check it for IMAP and within a couple of minutes I now have my IMAP'ed Gmail account working with my fat client. For those who aren't already aware, IMAP is a long-requested feature for Gmail. IMAP, as opposed to POP, is server-based mail storage, keeping a duplicate hierarchy of folders and sub-folders on the server. Most modern IMAP mail clients allow you to download the mail folders and contents onto your local computer but the messages still exist on the server. This is huge for people with more than one computer or who frequently check their mail from other computers.

THANK YOU GOOGLE!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, this is interesting, about 5 minutes ago I got a warning on my recently configured mail client that gmail doesn't support imap on my account. Funny, it did a few minutes earlier today! I logged into the settings for my account on the web page and IMAP has since disappeared. Perhaps I got excited too early....

Unknown said...

No sooner do I post the outage than it reappears. I see, it's going to be one of those! ;-)