Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Business Ethics, Part II

While corporate scandals seem to be either more prevalent in recent years or at least more publicized, it still continues to amaze me how these things happen. I do believe a certain culture has to exist within an organization for these things to happen on much more than theft of office supplies.

The Microsoft CIO termination for violating company policies caused me to tilt my head a little. I actually heard a presentation by Stuart Scott earlier this year in Redmond during the Public Sector CIO Summit. His presentation was fine but there was something about him that seemed curious--he seemed to lack the intellectual curiosity or drive that I would hope to expect from someone as the CIO of MS. Nothing rubbed me wrong, just failed to impress.

I also knew a CIO who I actually respected for his thought processes and ability to relate to people. He had a tumultuous home life and some people noted that he seemed to have a particular loyalty to one vendor in particular. I didn't pay much attention to it until later when I heard that the police showed up in the corporate headquarters as he was taken away for embezzlement charges because he was getting kick-backs from that particular vendor. It saddens me because I liked him and respected him professionally. I never held him in hero-status but I was let down to hear that the activity was going on.

With the selection of any employer or business partner, I suggest you make it a point to research the people and company. If you value high moral standards you need to pay attention to things and try to pay attention to the slightest nuances.

No comments: