Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Where to Live?


I've had a few places in mind of where I'd prefer to live for a while now. They do have some common threads.

Some of the things that I look for include:
  • interesting geography--I like mountains, bodies of water, and trees; I like camping, motorcycling, skiing, kayaking, and bicycling so my ideal locale will permit all of those
  • climate--I'm not a particular fan of Hawaii or Florida type of weather, I do like seasonal changes and I actually like some snow; having grown up in Montana I think I have a fundamental appreciation for the change of seasons; if I'm going to be somewhere it doesn't snow I'd really rather that it be mild year-round, such as Marin and Sonoma counties in California
  • community--I've lived in areas that were bedroom communities that seemed to lack their own sense of identity and while often peaceful, I do prefer a place that can stand on its own and isn't necessarily dependent on the next county's economic prosperity; I prefer a place where people feel like they are active participants and contributors; within this grouping I tend to prefer places with fewer than 150,000 residents
  • culture and character--this is a little trickier to characterize but small northeastern towns of 4,000 people can have it, particularly if a local college is a major occupant of the community due to the nature that a college town can bring; part of this is an intellectual curiosity that I enjoy; if the town has some interesting and meaningful history, all the better; I don't require a symphony but a local playhouse or a couple of coffee houses with live acts or the occasional poetry readings take place, I'm pretty happy; a raison d'etre really makes me happy; towns where the local college or university are significant tend to score higher; ethnic diversity is important to this as well
  • shopping--this is a mixed bag, I'm really not much of a mall crawler or big-box shopper but hopefully I don't have to go much more than an hour to get to those places for the 3 or 4 times a year I might feel the need; most of my shopping is done via the web now, heck, I even have Huggies on a subscription through Amazon delivered to the doorstep! Of course, organic farmers markets and grocers are big with us.
So, with this said, what locales have I identified? This is not a complete list but covers many in the U.S. that hit my radar (in no particular order):















Of course there are many areas in western Europe that I really like too but job opportunities are limited for a US citizen who doesn't already have work rights in the EU.

So, if you have any other suggestions for places that have the blend that I've described, please let me know!

No comments: