Saturday, November 24, 2007

On Community

I was talking with my in-laws over the Thanksgiving holiday and the subject turned to that of their neighbors. They referred to 2 or 3 of their neighbors by the nicknames they had come up for them. I thought this sounded curious and I asked them if they knew any of their neighbors by given name and they answered 'no.' They've lived beside and across from the same neighbors for seven years. Interestingly enough none of this surprises me.

It could be my imagination but it seems to me that fewer and fewer people actually know their neighbors. I try to reserve judgement on most things but I really do believe that it's beneficial for everyone to know their neighbors. I'm not saying you need to be best friends with them but I believe it improves the quality of your life if you know who lives next to you and you have a rapport. With my first home I got to know nearly all the neighbors on my street. We would help each other out, share tools, and attend one another's parties for kids, Halloween, etc. When we moved to Reno we immediately got to know our neighbors to our right--they are DINKs who also enjoy camping, motorcycles, bicycling, and home improvement. We looked out for one another, took care of the other's house during vacations, and would have the periodic beer or dinner. We got to know the people across the street and a few others.

I guess I believe that it can be a mutually beneficial thing to know your neighbor. I believe it's better for the neighborhood, the property value, the safety, and general happiness if you know something about the people with whom you live in close proximity. It's nice having a name to associate to the face, and it is even better if you get to be friends. I still consider my neighbor from Placerville to be one of my best friends.

Before leaving my in-laws after Thanksgiving I asked them for a New Year's resolution--get to know 3 of your neighbors. I think this is good for everyone no matter where you are. You'll enjoy the community you help to build. You'll be a part of something.

No comments: