Monday, November 12, 2007

On [Web] Community, Part III

In part II of On [Web] Community I mentioned how publishing old family photos restored communications with my Italian grandmother's side of the family. Well, it didn't stop there. I also posted several of my Smetana family photos to the same web site and received communications from my father's cousins on both his father's and mother's side of the family. As it now turns out, his cousin Paul is putting together a Smetana reunion in Lansford, ND 2009 and I've built a small web site for the event as well. Most of the communication with my dad's side of the family had been lost for over 30 years.

While the re-discovered familial ties was not something I had planned, it was a very fortunate unintended consequence. Once again, the web can build tremendous community.

No comments: